June 19, 2008

One of my passions

Since I was a kid, I always loved photography. It gives you the opportunity to freeze a memory forever; the opportunity of capturing that fraction of a second where everything happens; the opportunity of bringing your own creativity to the world changing the way it appears to the eye; the opportunity ... You know, unlimited opportunities.

I still remember the time where I took just one or two shoots trying to guess what is going to be result; where I needed to remember that each "click" was going to cost me more than 50 cents. Those times are gone, are gone forever.

I bought my first digital camera, point an shoot camera, and I kept since then as a precious memory the words of everyone telling me what a short future that new trend had: "digital pictures, who cares? people love to see paper". I still laugh remembering that :-)

A long time has passed and one month ago I started to update all my gear and the process is not over. This is my gear, I'm more than happy with all the elements, so I strongly recommend them to anybody trying to jump to more serious photography.
  • Body: I replaced my Canon 400D XTi for the Canon 40D (semi-pro). I was thinking about the 5D Full Frame but price, weight and knowing that the 5D-II is coming stopped me.
  • Walk through lenses: Sigma 17-70mm f/2.8-4.5. It's a fast glass that brings together a zoom and good aperture range
  • Telezoom: Canon 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM. The image stabilization plays along with this great lenses. Some people call this a L lenses hidden on a EF price.
  • Must have: Canon 50mm, f/1.8 II. It's a fixed lens that has an amazing quality for just $89. Who can resist it? It's a shame that 50mm with an APC camera is not so usable, but still it's worth any penny. Great for portraits
  • Backpack: Canon EG200, great offeering for the money: a lot of space, good compartments, protected, ... It lacks some protection against water, but it cost less than $30
Now, I'm just longing for opportunities to use it.

No comments: