March 3, 2009

Politics in Spain

This past weekend, Galicia and el Pais Vasco have held elections for their local parliaments. For several reasons, I wasn't able to submit my vote in time. Usually, I would be rather disappointed for having missed the single most important moment of influencing my government, but not this time.

It is not that I've stopped feeling part of Galicia, even from the distance; it is not that I don't care. Simply, it does not matter. It is that simple.

It seems that there is going to be a change in the government after all, and still who cares? Spain is getting into the deepest recession than anyone alive has seen, and little difference is going to make who is enjoying the power in some of the local governments.

What mechanisms can the president of Galicia put in place to unlock the capital markets? to restart the lending? to create jobs? ... If you think that there is anything they can do, think again.

It seems that I have the pessimistic hat right now. Maybe I'm wrong, maybe there is something that can be done. Sadly, I don't know what. Any ideas?

2 comments:

Zorro de Segovia said...

even when everybody agrees your argument, also everybody needs local authorities for daily life. Don´t forget that even when the economy is falling down, the world continues going around.

Zorro de Segovia said...

huy, me ha salido un pareado. ¡Soy un poeta del inglés!